Motion in support of Visteon (Enfield) workers
Download: Visteon Motion
• On 31 March, 240 workers at the Visteon car-parts factory in Enfield (a spin-off from Ford motors) were told that the factory was closing and that they had to leave – without pay, redundancy or pensions. The following day 75 workers occupied the factory.
• Faced with a possession order and committal charges against UNITE reps, on 9 April the workers left the factory, but have since maintained a 24-hour-a-day picket to prevent Visteon bosses from removing goods and machinery.
• Many of the workers have worked at Visteon for 20, 30 or even 40 years. When Ford sold the factory to Visteon in 2000 the bosses guaranteed to maintain Ford conditions, including pay, redundancy and pensions
• Visteon bosses have stolen the workers’ hard-earned jobs, redundancy packages and pensions and it’s the workers who are facing the police, the bailiffs and the courts.
• To send a message of support to the Visteon workers congratulating them on their courageous struggle, which continues to inspire all workers concerned for jobs, homes, families and futures
• To send a donation to the Visteon workers
• To invite a Visteon worker to speak at a branch meeting
• To organise a delegation to visit the picket line at the factory in Ponders End, Enfield
• To write to Visteon UK demanding that the company honour its commitment to uphold Ford terms and conditions
1 The factory is at Morson Road, Enfield, EN3 4NQ
Nearest train station is Ponders End. The plant is 5min walk, cross the foot-bridge, walk down main road towards Central London, the next street to the left is Morson Road, the factory situated at the end.
2 Donations can be sent to “HSG” at PO Box 2474, London, N8. This is a local community groups bank account the workers are presently using to receive funds.
3 Requests for speakers – call Linda on 07727 113 923, or Kevin on 07956 375 410
4 Messages of support can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the PO box above
5 Address of Visteon in the UK is: Steve Gawne, Visteon Engineering Services Ltd, Endeavor Drive, Basildon, Essex, SS14 3WF